MOREGEOUS

My photo
United Kingdom
http://moregeous.wordpress.com/ THIS BLOG HAS BEEN MOVED TO THE ABOVE ADDRESS AT WORDPRESS (FROM JUNE 2009) SEE YOU THERE!

5 Jun 2009

A bird in the hand....

The lovely 1 bed Project Lime has been empty for a couple of weeks, its gorgeous, I love it, but it isn't massive. Compact, in estate agent's parlance.

But last night I had a viewing and the call this morning said they wanted to take it. But not until the end of June. What do you do? It's only the 5th and that seems like ages away, with no rent coming in until they move in. Do you say no, but risk no-one else taking it, and then being stuck with no-one. Or yes, and kiss rent for June goodbye? And I have more viewings booked in over the weekend.
I suggested a compromise to the would-be tenant.... would they be willing to move the date forward slightly to secure the flat, and I would take it off the market? And they agreed, and we shook on the 20th June. Only 2 weeks away, and I have the security of an incoming tenant. 
Hence a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. 

Vicky the letting agent made a really useful point too - when signing 6 month tenancies in June/ July, be aware that just before Xmas is a bad time to get new tenants - try and extend the tenancy to end Jan, to give you that good month when lots of people look to move.

No comments:

Post a Comment