MOREGEOUS

My photo
United Kingdom
http://moregeous.wordpress.com/ THIS BLOG HAS BEEN MOVED TO THE ABOVE ADDRESS AT WORDPRESS (FROM JUNE 2009) SEE YOU THERE!

22 Apr 2009

Mortgages and scary standard variables

Well,  we are all waiting for the budget with (bated) breath, how much is it going to cost us on personal level and all that. My mortgage on house is luckily on a tracker, but only til Autumn, and I checked the paperwork this morning - it said their standard variable is 7.85%. I nearly fell over. At the moment it's .34% over base. An almost unreal difference in monthly payments which massively affect any household yet are entirely out of our control, and it increasingly seems, are entirely friggin random.
Panic over as I just spoke to THE BEST mortgage advisor in the world, well, in Manchester anyway at Kay Consulting. The current SVR at my mortgage co is 4.85% which is quite competitive, and it's possible to negotiate a loyalty deal nearer the time. Still a hellava lot more than .34% though (slit wrists time but enjoy it whilst it lasts!).
Mark is so competent, capable, and is still in business, unlike many mortgage advisors I have come across over the years. And it's because he knows all his clients. Every one. And goes to see them on every deal / change / problem. He's done my sister's and friends' mortgages, and he;'s such a nosey parker, wanting to know all about you. And THAT is why he's the best. 
We talked about a few of the Buy to let lenders and I asked his opinion on what was likely to happen. He sees some of them coming back to the market later this year, especially in the multiple occupancy sector (houses split into flats) which is my bag. So when my deal comes to end with the now in administration Icelandic bank (still can't quite get my head round that), should be ok to refinance by next spring.  Here's hoping........

No comments:

Post a Comment